How to Wear an Oversized Cardigan without Looking Frumpy

November 3, 2017

I asked for topics people would like covered on the blog, and one of them was how to wear an oversized cardigan without looking frumpy. Such a good idea! Oversized cardigans are all the rage lately. I can see why. They are cozy and easy layers. Here’s the thing, they can be unflattering. Below are some general guidelines I stick to when wearing them.

how to wear an oversized cardigan without looking frumpy

How to Wear an Oversized Cardigan without Looking Frumpy (keep reading for more examples below as well)

1. Consider the weight of the cardigan when you buy it. Look for a nice, heavy material but also one that isn’t overly “puffy” if you know what I mean. Puffy weight sweaters = puffy appearance
  2. Layer a top underneath that fits nicely. Think a fitted t-shirt as I have done in this post, a cami, a thin blouse. I.e. do not add a thick weight, bulky top underneath. Bulky top below = bulk
  3. Consider wearing a higher waist pant/jean and tucking your top in to visually create/save your waist line. Having a waist below all that material is a good thing!
  4. Personally, I like oversized cardigans that hit mid-thigh or below. I find ones that hit closer to the hip area just draw attention to and add bulk to, well, my hip area. Nobody wants that!

cream cardigan, striped t-shirt, plaid blanket scarf, distressed jeans, ankle booties how to style a long cardigan for fall fall basics, cardigan, jeans, boots, scarf, and tee cream long cardigan and how to style
Shop Great Cardigans

Shop Great Layering Pieces

Previous Examples of How to Wear an Oversized Cardigan without Looking Frumpy

Star Cardigan Post Here

Cream Cardigan & Cami Post Here

Black Long Cardigan Post Here

Cream on Cream Post Here

Fringe Cardigan Post Here

You Might Also Like

when to tuck and not tuck your shirt and howhow to wear statement earringsmini casual capsule wardrobe

You Might Also Like

75 Comments

• Reply Sherry August 7, 2020 at 1:45 pm

I couldn’t get past the knobby knees sticking out of the 2 holes to even notice the cardigans. Dark jeans and holes don’t look right anyway. The jeans should be lighter and looked lived in in order to pull off such a look. Even then, having sharp knee caps sticking out puts the emphasis of the outfit on the knees. Dark jeans that look pristine otherwise just don’t look right with 2 matching holes. Not flattering for the model.

• Reply Carol August 20, 2020 at 7:22 am

I think the jeans show how thIs latest trend can look hip . Ripped jeans may not be in everyone’s wardrobe, but this is a great look and she pulled it all together. You can substitute a lighter pair of unripped jeans and that would look cool too!

• Reply Amy Ann Arnold August 20, 2020 at 8:50 pm

Thank you so much, Carol! I appreciate your kind comment. You can definitely wear substitute your preferred jean style.

• Reply Jane Lipton Work March 7, 2020 at 12:05 pm

Pretty sure you don’t need to worry about covering your bum at any time. You look drop-dead gorgeous in everything you put on! I think the comments about the ripped jeans sound a bit mean. I don’t wear them, because I feel I’m too old (60+) to look ragged. But on younger women, they’re fine. My daughters, who are mid-30s, wear them and look trendy, not sloppy. Thanks for the information and photos. Even we old(er!) women want to look fresh.

• Reply D February 21, 2020 at 4:24 pm

Torn jeans should be banned. They do not look elegant. They look like the person wearing them came from the poor house. Only in America would people pay for holes!

• Reply Lizzy November 6, 2019 at 10:06 pm

These jeans look cheap and stupid with a sweater
    Ripped jeans should be tasteful not like bombs went off at the knee cap

• Reply Joanne November 17, 2019 at 7:33 pm

I agree with you Lizzy. The out fit looked well up together until you got to the jeans. Sorry, holy jeans are not fashionable.

• Reply Sherry Kicenski August 7, 2020 at 1:39 pm

• Reply Angie September 6, 2019 at 11:33 am

I didn’t see any oversized cardigans, but I saw long , and I believe that is a big difference.

• Reply Nico June 17, 2019 at 9:18 pm

So basically, just be really skinny with your oversized cardigan.????

• Reply Zubeida June 19, 2019 at 2:08 am

lol. i was thinking the same thing Nico
      but thank you Amy these are great, i guess alittle tweek here and there to accomodate the few sizes bigger

• Reply Amy Ann June 19, 2019 at 8:11 am

Hi! I sent a reply over email, but I wanted to post it here too. I don’t think the huge, chunky cardigans do anyone any favors. I think you can buy thicker ones that are longer (i.e. don’t hit at your hip) and wear thinner, tucked in items below them with high waisted pants as I mention. A thicker weight, longer cardigan is still and oversized one in my opinion. 🙂 Those are the style I am featuring here and what I have found to be the most flattering. I hope that helps!!

• Reply Melanie January 27, 2019 at 6:27 pm

Hi! I just found your blog on Pinterest and I love it!! I have one question. How do you wear those cute blanket scarves without looking bulky? What’s your secret?!?

Thanks for some great inspiration!

• Reply Megan Smith January 13, 2018 at 3:07 pm

Hi! I’m new to your blog, just clicked over from Pinterest because the title of this post caught my eye! Couldn’t agree more with all your tips! I love these practical posts on how to make trends work, I’ll definitely be back!

• Reply Amy Ann Arnold January 13, 2018 at 8:28 pm

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. You totally made my day! So glad you found this helpful!

1 2 3 4