Something I’ve worked on since Ivy was born was how to build a mom friendly wardrobe without sacrificing style. Any other new moms out there feel like this is more of a challenge than you anticipated!? I wasn’t able to breastfeed for more than 3 months, so I didn’t even have to deal with that extra layer of complication. The spit up, the need to be casual and functional, yet the strong desire to still feel like yourself. Marrying all of those things while also trying to adjust to this new and wonderful thing we call motherhood. Whew. Read on to discover how to create a stylish mom friendly outfit in five easy steps. Cute mom outfits here we come.
How to Create a Stylish Mom Friendly Outfit in 5 Easy Steps
- Look for t-shirts that are more than just a t-shirt – Think ruffle details, tie shoulders or tie fronts, and any other fun details that make an everyday basic feel anything but boring. It keeps things easily washable and functional yet fun.
- Buy good denim in multiple fits/washes – I’ve always loved denim, but my denim wardrobe has definitely expanded since Ivy arrived. As I shared in this post, I prefer high waisted denim because I can more easily sit on the floor without worrying about showing something I don’t want to show. I wear it in the summer too (just usually a cropped version). Find a couple brands you like that really fit you well. I like having a good, classic wash, a distressed pair, a boyfriend pair, a grey pair, a black pair, a cropped, straight leg pair, and a white pair. It’s what I wear most, so I have no shame about owning multiple.
- Comfortable yet cute shoes are key – I definitely have some shoes that are still reserved for work and date nights only, don’t get me wrong. Mama’s gotta get out! Buuuttt I’ve found a balance of comfy and cute shoes that work for mom life too. For the most part these are wedges and flats. I have a mild obsession with Marc Fisher wedges (Not an ad, just the truth. You’ll see them repeated a ton below.). I have three pairs that I wear constantly because they are the one shoe I have found that isn’t a flat that I can wear out with Ivy. I also love my bow flats.
- Accessorize – Did you know that one was coming? Until Ivy starts pulling them out (I think it’s coming…), I’ll be rocking statement earrings. I also love my Gucci belt I bought secondhand. It just makes a girl feel fancy even while wearing a t-shirt. Necklaces are great too!
- Add a fun lip color – Without any work on your outfit, adding a fun lip color makes the whole outfit feel put together. Not being a big makeup person, this is admittedly the last thing I think about. What I have noticed through blog pictures is that it really does go a long way to making an outfit look polished with minimal work. I don’t sell it, so don’t worry, but I really have hopped on the Lipsense train because I don’t have to mess with it.
You’ll see below just how much I wear some of the same shoes and denim. Finding things that work for you is worth it! If you find this helpful, I’d love for you to pin the image below and share.
Stylish Mom Friendly Outfit Examples
Cropped Denim, Stripes, My Favorite Wedges – here
White Jeans, Bow Tie Tee, Wedges – here
Cropped Denim, Stripes, Wedges – here
Skinny Jeans, Ruffle Tee, Wedges – here
Skinny Jeans, Ruffle Tee, Bow Flats – here
Cropped Jeans, Tee, Flats – here
Skinny jeans, tie back tee, wedges – here