I’ve been loving sharing reels/IGTV videos with you all lately that feature some styling tips or how to stretch you wardrobe and get more wear out of your clothing! I shared how to tuck your shirt. Coming tonight how to tie your shirt including 6 outfit ideas with a knotted shirt. Today I wanted to also share it here and dive in a bit deeper. I love how Instagram and my blog both provide different mediums for sharing things. The blog gives me more text room to explain.
How to Tie Your Shirt
While any shirt will work to knot, I find one that is not too long or too loose works best.
- Simply gather in the middle at the hight you want the knot to end up. Tie higher or lower depending on waist of bottom. In my first two examples below I had to retie my white tank lower with my jeans since they sit lower on my waist.
- Pull tight
- If there is a lot of fabric bunching in the back, you can tuck it in up under. I recommend this especially in the examples below with the dresses when you are tying higher at your natural waist. See Instagram reel for visual)
- Sometimes it can take a couple tries to get it right and some adjusting to get the material around the knot to look right
6 Outfit Ideas with a Knotted Shirt
1. Knot Your T-Shirt with a Skirt
While you can always tuck your shirt in with a skirt, it can be fun to knot your t-shirt with a skirt as a fun way to mix things up. If you have a printed skirt, grabbing a solid color shirt is always a fun and easy idea. My skirt is an Amazon favorite that comes in a ton of colors! It has a tie that I just tucked inside behind my knot.
2. Knot Your T-Shirt with Jeans
A t-shirt and jeans will forever be a good combination! You can mix things up and take a basic outfit up a notch by knotting your t-shirt. It’s a fun and easy way to switch things up without getting anything new in your wardrobe.
3. Knot Your T-Shirt in an Athleisure Look
While the first two examples show alternatives to tucking your shirt in, I personally really prefer doing a tie with leggings and an outer later. I find leaving my shirt out with leggings and an outer layer ends up really creating a bulky, unflattering look. However, when I tie my t-shirt, my waist is visual again and the whole look is streamlined. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
4. Knot Your T-Shirt to Dress Up Leggings
Similar to my reasoning above, I prefer to tie my shirt when I am dressing up leggings. Adding a dressier cardigan and flats with a tied top feels pulled together.
5. Tie a Button Up Shirt Over a Dress
I have worn this exact dress and chambray shirt combination with my shirt open while pregnant here in my post all about how to wear a chambray shirt. I love it both ways! Tying a button up shirt of any kind over a dress of any kind is a great way to maximize your closet. You can do a white button up, a chambray, a utility shirt, etc over a variety of different dresses (long or short) to totally change up the look of your dresses. The options are endless!
6. Knot a T-Shirt Over a Dress
Similar to the sentiment above, I love picking a t-shirt and adding it over a dress like this $10 striped one. You can do a solid t-shirt or a graphic tee to create an endless amount of combinations and maximize your wardrobe. I love how this kind of creates the look of a shirt and skirt.