Deciding what to wear for family photos can be a daunting task even for a fashion lover like me. My love for fashion just might be surpassed by my love for photos. There is something about them that is so special to me. I love documenting life in photos, so it is really important to me to take family photos. I’m thankful Russ obliges me and that we’ve been able to take photos as a couple, maternity announcement photos, pregnancy photos, family photos when Ivy Jean was six months old, family photos when she was one year old, and more recently family pictures with my extended family. That was a really special photo session as we hadn’t done that since my sister and I had both had kids.
Anyway, I think you get the point. I love pictures. It’s that time of year when we are all thinking about family Christmas pictures for Christmas cards, so I thought I would share a few tips I go by when planning outfits for everyone.
What to Wear for Family Pictures
- Pick one main print first – I start with one outfit (usually either mine or Ivy Jean’s because, let’s face it, Russ is the easy one). This outfit is the one that I will pull other colors, prints, and looks from. So start with a print! Depending on the season and look you are going for in the photos, I usually go with a floral or a plaid. These are classic prints that over time you won’t look back and regret.
- Pick a second, coordinating print – You don’t want the photos to only have one print. Print mix like a pro! It’s easy if you stick to similar colors and patterns that go well together. Stripes and checks are always safe. This is when men are always easy. It’s generally easy to pick a stripe, gingham, or check button up shirt for them in a coordinating color that will work well with your first print.
- Using your two prints pick one or two other solid colors to add in for others – Depending on how many other people you have to style, add in one or two other solid colors from your prints. Pick up colors in your prints that will be flattering and easy to add in. Think blues (even chambray), creams, greys, burgundy, browns (khaki), etc.
- Add interest with accessories and layers – Think how cute babies are in hats! What about a scarf for the mama? A vest for the adorable little boy. Does dad need a sweater over his button up?
- Mix up your neutrals – If dad is wearing jeans, should brother wear khakis? Pictures look visually better if there is some differentiation between family members who are all standing beside each other. Keep in mind you want it to all flow though. Denim and khakis are neutral but will break things up.
What to Wear for Family Photos – Warm Weather Example
What to Wear for Family Photos – Fall Example
What to Wear for Family Photos – Winter Example
Special thanks to Randy Yeats Photography for all these amazing photos!
I LOVE this so much! I hope it goes viral on Pinterest because so many photographers get asked this all the team and this is an amazing resource.
The Adored Life
Omg this is such a great post — I never know what to wear for family photos!!
Such a cute post and love these tips!
These are fantastic tips! I’ll be pinning to save this for later. Picking outfits for photos can be so daunting.
What a great way to look at this subject, Amy!!! It’s true how too much in the picture can be hard to focus on the people!! Of course when you have such a wonderful family, like you do—it’s perfect!!!
All of these pics are super cute 🙂 Adore those dot tights!
these photos are so lovely
Your family photos are so adorable! Love your tips, very useful.
Little Glittery Box
Such a great and original post! You all look gorgeous!
The Black Blush
You guys nailed all three looks but can we talk about little miss and her fabulous jacket in the 3rd photo!! Amazing! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston
LOVE this post!! You have such an amazing family!
MES VOYAGES À PARIS
NEW POST: CHRISMTAS LOOKBOOK – 3 OUTFITS READY TO COPY
So cute! What a great post idea! Love how you gave such clear and easy examples!
Katherine | http://www.oneswainkycouple.com
LOVE LOVE LOVE!! Ivy Jean in her buffalo plaid..oh my cuteness!!! You model gorgeous people you! love these, love your tips. Oh how we need to get ours professionally done next year! Happy festive Monday!
Your family is adorable beyond words Amy! Merry Christmas!
These are all great tips for family photos, and I love that you have seasonal examples! I love Ivy Jean’s outfit in the last photo, how cute! And of course I love your polka dot tights. Happy Monday, Amy Ann!
A Blonde’s Moment
What a great post! I adore all of your family photos, especially the one on the blanket in the field! Hope you all are enjoying the holiday season 🙂
You guys are such a cute trio!! Love these photos and your tips are on point!
Ohhh, thank you for sharing Amy Ann. This is so helpful. Especially now before Christmas!
You are a pro at this, these pics are so cute.
Such a great and creative post! Love your formula to the perfect family portrait! You have such a beautiful family!