I thought it would be fun to share an easy little DIY with you all today that I use regularly – how to hem your own jeans! Raw hems are really in lately and work especially well on straight leg jeans. One of my most worn pairs of jeans is my Abercrombie high rise straight leg jeans, and I actually did a DIY raw hem on them! I ordered the tall length, and they were a tiny bit too long. However, the regular was too short. Have you been there before? Or maybe you are shorter than me and the regulars are too long on you. Either way, let’s make our clothes work for us so we have pieces that flatter our body shape!
How to Hem Your Own Jeans
This is really so simple you probably don’t need this post! I shared a reel with more info and a video on how to do this. I almost think the video shows it all easier than still photos. When considering how to hem your own jeans, it can be broken down into a few easy steps:
- Find a pair of jeans that you LOVE the length on. Those will be your cutting guide. I’m actually using the pair I cut previously because they are my favorite length!
- Lay your longer pair down first. Put your guide pair on top and line up the crotch so the inseams match.
- Cut leg on at the same spot your guide pair ends.
- On this step you have two choices. You can either cut the second side the same way OR fold your new jeans over and cut the second side using the first side as your measure.
- Use your scissors to rough up the ends a little.
- Wash your new jeans. The ends will naturally start to fray to perfection over time! You can see on my guide pair they have.
About My Jeans – Just $25!!
The jeans you see here that I did my DIY raw hem on are a steal of a deal from Target! They are such a fun find and super comfy too. A slightly wider leg than my Abercrombie pair with some stretch. I am wearing my true size, but if you are between sizes I would go down.