Today I am excited to share in in depth post about how to transition an outfit from summer to fall. With August upon us, the start of football season, and fall clothes filling the racks, we are all beginning to start thinking about fall. I don’t know about you, but fall is my favorite season for clothing!! Here in Oklahoma, the reality is that we don’t really get fall temps until October or November. What’s a fashion lover to do?
How to Transition an Outfit from Summer to Fall
With a few key things in mind, you can easily transition a full summer look to a fall one in no time, and I have several outfits below to illustrate. I’ll be keeping the exact same outfit base and swapping it from one season to another with some easy to follow tips. When selecting summer wardrobe items, if you buy smart these pieces can work for multiple seasons and settings.
Summer Key Styling Ideas
- In Summer, pick sleeveless or short sleeve options.
- When it comes to print, think of things that will work for now and later so you have versatility. Yes, light fun florals are great and they definitely have their place (we all love them!). However, if you want to wear it in summer and fall, opt for a slightly darker print.
- Pair your prints with lighter pieces or alone in dress version so they don’t feel too heavy/dark in the summer season.
- Add summer accessories and shoes!
Summer Outfit 1 – Swing Dress
Why this Works? A swing dress is universally easy to wear and versatile. The sleeveless fit and darker print make it perfect for summer. I’ve added sandals and tied a jean jacket around my waist for shape. You could easily dress this up for a work setting too.
Summer Outfit 2 – Jeans and Blouse
Why this works? The darker blouse will be perfect to transition to fall, but the sleeveless cut and light fabric makes it perfect for summer now. I paired it with my white jeans to keep the overall feel of the outfit light. Since the blouse has some olive green coloring in it, I decided to pair it with cognac accessories.
Summer Outfit 3 – Shorts
Why this works? I love this tunic top paired with denim. It’s a fun color that will easily work for early fall as well.
Fall Key Styling Ideas
When it comes to swapping these looks for fall, the base outfits were already so great I just had to change a few accessories.
- Change out your sandals/summer shoe for a more fall like feel. This could be a peep toe boot, a boot, or even a mule or sneaker.
- Add an outer layer. When you start with a top that is either a short sleeve or sleeveless, you will not be too hot with an outer layer. In early fall you want to avoid two long sleeve layers.
- Accessorize! If it is still too how to add layers, consider adding a hat or other fall accent that may give your outfit that fall vibe without adding too much heat.
Fall Outfit 1
Compared to the summer version, all I did was add my jean jacket (light version) and swap my shoes for a peep toe bootie. In the second pic, I also added a hat. So easy and also still pretty cool until we really get those crisp fall temps.
Fall Outfit 2
Fall Outfit 3
To transition this look to fall, I changed my shorts for jeans and my sandals for closed toe mules. I also added a hat. The combination isn’t too over the top fall but will be perfect for those early fall days.
News on 6 TV Guest Appearance
Wondering where this post all stemmed from? Well, I was fortunate enough to be a guest on a new segment of a local Tulsa newscast. News on 6, the CBS affiliate, is running a 4 pm show that has a more lifestyle component to it. I recently visited to talk all things fashion! I did one segment on summer to fall fashion and one on football fashion (coming soon!). Why not turn the segment into a post? Here’s the actual photo of the outfits I styled.