Mini Casual Capsule Wardrobe – 13 Pieces, 10 Outfits

February 27, 2019

I am so excited to be starting a series today about a mini casual capsule wardrobe! A couple weeks ago, I did an Instagram story where I asked you all what type of posts and/or what content you wanted to see this spring from me. Many of you said a capsule wardrobe or how to style and restyle basics. As I have transitioned to staying home, I am wearing more and more casual pieces that are truly wardrobe staples. Basics that make up the backbone of my closet. I selected 13 pieces that over the next couple posts I am going to share 10 different outfit combinations from just those pieces. Ever wondered what you need to start a wardrobe that is stylish and functional? This is the post series for you! (If you are finding this post via Pinterest, you can see all posts in the series here.)

mini casual capsule wardrobe, 13 pieces to make 10 outfits, basics that translate to all seasons, the post you need to read to start a wardrobe that is stylish and functional

What is a capsule wardrobe?

The idea of a capsule wardrobe is that you pic a set number of items to simplify your wardrobe and just use those items to make up all of your outfits. Capsule wardrobes are typically around 30 pieces. I decided to specify and so a mini casual capsule wardrobe.

Why a mini casual capsule wardrobe?

Well, when I was deciding what to put in my capsule, I found several pieces that I wear all the time. Those pieces honestly make up the base of my wardrobe. I found that by picking just those pieces I was able to make an astounding amount of outfits. I honestly could have kept recombining in different ways to make many more looks, but I thought you all might get bored. By picking just these items I think I am giving you truly the foundation of a versatile and functional wardrobe you can build on and tailor to your specific personal style.

mini casual capsule wardrobe blog post series, 13 pieces with 10 outfits giving you the basis of a stylish and functional wardrobe to translate from season to season

What 13 items are in my mini casual capsule wardrobe?

I picked 3 pairs of jeans: a regular skinny pair, a distressed skinny pair, and a white skinny pair. For tops, I went with a white t-shirt, a striped t-shirt, a chambray button up, and a camo t-shirt. If camo isn’t your thing, you just need another print. I added four shoes, but you could get buy with three really. I’m a shoe girl. 😉 I selected a white mule, a leopard mule (options linked below), a black slip on sneaker (I highly recommend the ones I link below! I tried them on in store, and they are soooo comfy!), and my pink Van sneakers. For layers, I went with a green utility jacket and my trusty leather jacket. I personally only bought one new thing for this (my striped shirt), and that was just because I wanted a new one. I tried to make this capsule all things that are affordable, available, and often already in our closets. Nothing is over $100 with the most expensive thing being the jeans. I am not counting accessories in my capsule which make a lot of difference when styling a look.

Shirts – Chambray & Stripe Exact, Others Similar

Jeans – All Exact

Shoes – Vans & White Mule Exact, Leopard & Slip Ons Similar

Jackets

Is this capsule season specific?

In short – NO. Let me explain. Since we are approaching spring, I selected white jeans, spring shoes, and short sleeve shirts for the most part. If this were a fall or winter capsule, I think there are a few minor swaps that would easily translate to any season. Swap white jeans for black – you just need a different color denim to mix the looks up. Instead of mules and light colored shoes, pick boots. Use long sleeves. As opposed to one, light layer as a jacket, you will need to add on a heavy coat and probably a hat and scarves too. The point is that basics are versatile. These looks translate to all seasons. For summer, the white jeans and short sleeves work. Swap sandals and loose the layers. Easy!

mini casual capsule wardrobe basics to mix and match, camo t-shirt, skinny jeans, leather jacketmini casual capsule wardrobe, white jeans, camo t-shirt, chambray shirt

What to Expect

I think the best way to organize this is to share my tops together in each post and then one roundup post at the end. That should give me five posts about my capsule wardrobe in total. Today I am going to share how I have styled my camo shirt. Of the 10 outfits, I have styled it twice. The chambray top definitely got the most wears, so I will save that for a day when I haven’t already ambled a ton.

Camo Shirt Two Ways

I styled my camo shirt two ways: once with my white jeans, pink Vans, and chambray shirt tied around it. I feel like this is a lighter, fun look. In opposition is look two which is styled with regular skinny jeans and my leather jacket. It is amazing what the change does for the outfit. It’s edgier and darker. Which do you like better and are you excited about this capsule series? I’d love to hear your comments below! Be sure to tune in for Friday’s post!

mini casual capsule wardrobe, all the basics you need to have a functional and stylish closet, must read postspring outfit ideas that can be mixed and matched, mini casual capsule wardrobe

Style on the Daly with On the Daily Express

Inlinkz Link Party

You Might Also Like

33 Comments

• Reply Elise February 27, 2019 at 11:27 am

Love this causal mini capsule!! So many different looks from such great pieces!

xx, Elise

• Reply Jessica A Jannenga February 27, 2019 at 11:16 am

NIce idea Amy! I don’t think I could do a capsule because I love clothes too much, but love the idea of this mini one, especialy since I also am from home., Love that camo top!I love the v neck and how soft it looks! It looks great with both jeans and I am wearing sneakers a bit more too lately.
    jess xx

• Reply Britney Crawley February 27, 2019 at 10:57 am

I’m excited for the rest of this series! I love versatile pieces that can be styled different ways. I think I like the camp shirt best with the Lester jacket but both are cute!!

• Reply Lizzie February 27, 2019 at 9:42 am

I totally need to do something like this! I feel like my closet gets out of control sometimes lol!

Lizzie
    wwww.lizzieinlace.com

• Reply Nina February 27, 2019 at 9:14 am

Casual and chic outfit dear!
    Have a great day! xx

La ilusión de Nina – http://lailusiondenina.blogspot.com/

• Reply Amy Johnson February 27, 2019 at 8:25 am

I love that pink camo top!

• Reply Rania February 27, 2019 at 8:13 am

Yes I do like these basics for sure and they’re easy to restyle. Even just slapping a jeans jacket really can give a whole new look.

• Reply Maria | passion fruit, paws and peonies February 27, 2019 at 8:00 am

I love the idea of a capsule wardrobe – then anything else is all icing on the cake. I look forward to seeing more xx

• Reply JustaFriend February 27, 2019 at 7:59 am

You are a living proof of how with a little bit of creativity everything can be turned into stylish.

• Reply Julie | This Main Line Life February 27, 2019 at 7:48 am

This is a great article and I love that camo top.

• Reply Gina February 27, 2019 at 7:42 am

What a fun series! So excited to see how you style each of these pieces. I’m always impressed with the organization that goes into a capsule wardrobe!
    Gina || On the Daily Express

• Reply jodie filogomo February 27, 2019 at 7:29 am

I like this idea for my traveling packing. Otherwise, I tend to get bored with my outfits. And I’m a shoe girl too….I’d have to have the same!!
    XOXO
    Jodie

• Reply Jacqui Berry February 27, 2019 at 7:19 am

This is a fab top, love that whole outfit, and it all works together so well. Thanks for hosting the #linkup. Jacqui Mummabstylish

• Reply Shelbee on the Edge February 27, 2019 at 7:00 am

I love this camo tee! And all the ways you have styled it. I have way too many clothes and no desire to minimize to create a capsule wardrobe! But I do appreciate the concept and perhaps one day I will become a minimalist, but it is doubtful! I look forward to seeing how you style your 13 pieces!

Shelbee

• Reply Kelly R February 27, 2019 at 6:51 am

I would never think a camo tee could be so versatile! I think I need one in my wardrobe after this post!

Rosy Outlook

• Reply Shea February 27, 2019 at 6:49 am

I love that you’re doing this Amy Ann! I think it’s a great idea and I can’t wait for all your ideas. These first ideas with the camo shirt are great and perfect timing for me! I’ve been doing monthly mini capsules and next month I’m definitely going to be incorporating some olive green and my camo tee will be getting lots of wear I think.

• Reply Rach February 27, 2019 at 6:44 am

I always love seeing you styled same pieces different ways! This is a great mini capsule!

• Reply Jill February 27, 2019 at 6:40 am

This is such a great idea! I love that you created it around things that everyone already has in their closets!

Jill – Doused in Pink

• Reply Katherine February 27, 2019 at 6:11 am

This is great! I’ve been trying to have more “basics” or capsule items myself. It’s tricky to restyle trendy items and I’m constantly finding that I reach for the basics more often!

Katherine | http://www.oneswainkycouple.com

• Reply Anne February 27, 2019 at 5:58 am

Ooh, I LOVE a mini capsule – can’t wait to see the rest!

• 1 2